2023 National River Cleanup Challenge
sponsored by true North Energy
Trash is more than just an eyesore, it contaminates our drinking water and threatens the lives of all people, wildlife, and communities who depend on clean water.
True North – Energized Sparkling Water is supporting American Rivers’ work to permanently protect and restore thousands of miles of rivers nationwide and remove thousands of pounds of litter from rivers across the country. We invite you to participate in our National River Cleanup Challenge. Volunteers will use Litterati, the free mobile app available for both iPhone and Android devices, to track their litter collection efforts and provide important data about the location and type of litter in their community and waterways.
Volunteers will track litter collection by photographing, uploading, and tagging each piece between March 17 and 31. Together we can reduce and prevent litter from threatening wildlife and contaminating our rivers.
On April 1, the top litter collector will be awarded the American Rivers and True North prize bundle.
How does it work?
Download the free Litterati app on your mobile device to join our National River Cleanup Challenge (challenge code NRC2023). Use it to track your collection efforts and provide important data about the location and type of litter in your community and waterways.
- American Rivers baseball hat
- American Rivers sticker
- American Rivers 50th anniversary koozie
- True North Energy Hammock
- True North Energy Spot Carabiner
- True North Energy Reusable Picnic Kit
- True North Energy Chapstick
How to Participate
1. Download the free Litterati app on your mobile device using the App Store or Google Play.
2. Open the app and join our challenge – Click “Get Started” and follow the steps.
3. The app will immediately open to main menu and Impact page. To join our challenge, click the Challenges icon at the bottom of your screen.
4. Click the blue button labeled “Join a Challenge with a Code.” Enter the code NRC2023 and click “Join.”
4. Next, you will “Claim Your Account” under “Profile” to save your progress in collecting litter and to access all tools and data. Without claiming your account, your data may not be saved to the challenge. This data is important to summarize volunteer impact and help provide litter data in our community.
5. Make sure your phone’s settings allow Litterati to access your location and camera while using the app.
6. Between now and March 31, collect as much litter as you can using Litterati to photograph AND tag each piece of litter. Make sure to wear gloves and follow the litter collection tips!
For Frequently Asked Questions on how to use Litterati, please click here.
Litter Collection Tips
- Wear gloves.
- Work with a buddy – one person can take the photos while the other identifies and collects the litter.
- Carry a bag to collect the litter.
- Go to a public space like a park, creek or trail in your neighborhood to find litter.
- Only pick up trash that you’re comfortable collecting. Place sharp objects like broken glass in a solid container and safely dispose it in a trash bin.
- Dispose litter on-site if available or at your workplace or residence.