True North Cleanup Challenge
Read on for more details on how to participate.
About the Challenge
Trash is more than just an eyesore, it contaminates our drinking water and threatens the lives of all people, wildlife, and communities who depend on clean water.
True North supports American Rivers’ work to permanently protect and restore thousands of miles of rivers nationwide and remove thousands of pounds of litter from rivers across the country. We invite you to participate in the True North Cleanup Challenge by using Litterati, the free mobile app available for iPhone and Android devices. Together we can reduce and prevent litter from threatening wildlife and contaminating our rivers.
How does it work?
Download the free Litterati app on your mobile device to join our True North Cleanup Challenge (challenge code TRUENORTH). Use it to track your collection efforts and provide important data about the location and type of litter in your community and waterways.
How to Participate
1. Download the free Litterati app on your mobile device using the App Store or Google Play.
2. Open the app and join our challenge – Click “Get Started” and follow the steps.
3. The app will immediately open to main menu and Impact page. To join our challenge, click the Challenges icon at the bottom of your screen.
4. Click the blue button labeled “Join a Challenge with a Code.” Enter the code TRUENORTH and click “Join.”
4. Next, you will “Claim Your Account” under “Profile” to save your progress in collecting litter and to access all tools and data. Without claiming your account, your data may not be saved to the challenge. This data is important to summarize volunteer impact and help provide litter data in our community.
5. Make sure your phone’s settings allows Litterati to access your location and camera while using the app.
6. Between now and June 30, collect as much litter as you can using Litterati to photograph AND tag each piece of litter. Make sure to wear gloves and a face mask and follow the litter collection tips!
For Frequently Asked Questions on how to use Litterati, please click here.
Litter Collection Tips
- Wear gloves.
- Practice social distancing of at least 6 feet between you and others not in your household.
- Work with a buddy – one person can take the photos while the other identifies and collects the litter.
- Carry a bag to collect the litter.
- Go to a public space like a park, creek or trail in your neighborhood to find litter.
- Only pick up trash that you’re comfortable collecting. Place sharp objects like broken glass in a solid container and safely dispose it in a trash bin.
- Dispose litter on-site if available or at your workplace or residence.