REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Philanthropy and Board Relations
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. or remote
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support in 2017 by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 275,000 members, supporters and volunteers. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each individual brings to our work provides perspectives, experiences, and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
American Rivers is seeking an intern to work with our Philanthropy Team. The Philanthropy Intern will gain direct experience with prospect research, event planning, marketing, and database management. The intern will be responsible for a variety of projects and activities in a fast-paced and fun environment, and have the opportunity to learn from experienced mentors who are passionate about conservation. This internship is a great opportunity for anyone interested in exploring a career in nonprofit conservation or fundraising.
- Gather and complete research, to include donor and prospect profiles and information and statistics about rivers for use in proposals and reports.
- Cross-reference other donor lists with our database, identifying likely prospects for our Anglers Fund and major gifts programs.
- Draft acknowledgement letters and other fundraising-related documents, such as proposals and reports.
- Edit internal and external correspondence and fundraising materials.
- Maintain accurate fundraising information in the organization’s files and database.
- Actively participate in meetings, brown bags lunches, and trainings.
- Event planning – assist gift officers with planning for fundraising and cultivation events
- Assist in the planning and implementation of a bi-annual webinar for American Rivers supporters
- Draft promotion materials for events
- Identify community foundations and corresponding contact info in priority river basins
- Contact identified community foundations to explore the possibility of linking AR to their “community connections” page(s)
- Work with Communications/Marketing and Basin-specific Conservation Staff to create content for landing web-pages for identified community foundations.
- Compile a list of Foundation Contacts with whom AR has an established link to enable future communication and updates
- Current student or recent graduate, with educational background in marketing, communications, or environmental science a plus
- Skilled writer and researcher
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- Able to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task
TIME COMMITMENT AND PAY
American Rivers’ spring 2019 internship will begin in January and will end in April. This internship requires a commitment of 15 to 24 hours per week. The internship is based in Washington, DC but candidates wishing to work remotely may be considered. Internships are unpaid. Where available we will work with the intern to gain school credit.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Please include in the cover letter why you are interested in the internship and your future career goals. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply