Marketing and Development Writer
Title: Marketing and Development Writer
Classification: Associate Director II
Wage category: Exempt
Reports to: Marketing Director
Location: Fully remote or flex in Washington, DC, or Denver
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
American Rivers is championing a national effort to protect and restore all rivers, from remote mountain streams to urban waterways. Healthy rivers provide people and nature with clean, abundant water and natural habitat. For 50 years, American Rivers staff, supporters, and partners have shared a common belief: Life Depends on Rivers℠.
American Rivers centers the ongoing work of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in all that we do. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that everyone brings to our work provides perspectives, experiences, and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
The Marketing and Development Writer is an accomplished communicator responsible for writing, editing, and producing compelling stewardship materials, highly personalized major donor materials, and marketing collateral that articulates American Rivers’ impact and inspires donors and prospects to support American Rivers’ mission. This role will support American Rivers’ Marketing and Development teams as the principal writer and editor of materials designed to deepen relationships with American Rivers supporters and prospects.
An important member of the Marketing and Communications team within the Advancement department, the position interacts with staff across the organization to gather information and stories about American Rivers’ impact and priorities that inform persuasive, action-oriented content. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a talented, high-energy team of professionals who are making a difference in the field of conservation.
Development Writing and Campaign Support (50%)
- In partnership with the Development and Conservation teams, conceptualize, research, write, and edit high-quality and persuasive personalized fundraising proposals for major donors and prospects.
- Support fundraising campaign by producing customized print and digital materials in collaboration with the Marketing and Development teams.
- Periodically update donor outreach materials, such as acknowledgement letters and other shared templates.
- Write and edit philanthropy-related content for the President and CEO, including custom letters and acknowledgements, high-level donor correspondence, special donor gifts, and occasionally presentations related to fundraising and donor engagement.
- Provide editorial support on donor letters and fundraising appeals.
Marketing Materials Production (30%)
- Proactively seek opportunities to demonstrate the impact of donors’ investment in American Rivers’ work through compelling content and communications.
- Collaborate on the strategy, content, design, and production of stewardship materials, including but not limited to newsletters, the annual impact report, donor reports, and programmatic updates.
- Create compelling print and digital materials that advance American Rivers’ fundraising goals, such as case statements.
- Serve as a reviewer and editor of donor-facing programmatic reports, ensuring they advance fundraising goals, are compelling to the donor audience, are error free, and align with American Rivers’ brand guidelines, voice, and existing templates.
- Identify and recruit appropriate staff, leadership volunteers, and/or donors as information sources and interview subjects.
Marketing Support (20%)
- Develop production schedules, set and meet deadlines, and complete projects on time and on budget.
- Coordinate the production of effective stewardship and fundraising materials, working with graphic designers, photographers, freelancers and other external suppliers/contacts.
- Coordinate timely reviews by appropriate staff members, ranging from program staff to the President and CEO. Provide final check and approval for all materials.
- Work with Director of Marketing to provide brand oversight on American Rivers-branded materials to ensure consistency with the organization’s style guide.
- Maintain comprehensive, accurate, up-to-date files and records, including inventory of printed communications.
REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
- Undergraduate degree and 3-5 years of experience, with demonstrated success in writing effective marketing and donor collateral at a nonprofit organization.
- Deadline-driven project manager, who can work in a fun, fast-paced environment and create relationships at all levels in the organization.
- Experience creating production schedules and managing the visual direction of publications.
- Exceptional editorial judgement and skills interviewing, editing, fact-checking and proofreading.
- Experience managing third-party vendors, such as graphic designers.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, and to produce polished content under tight deadlines.
- Highly organized, resourceful, and proactive. Proven ability to anticipate needs and take initiative.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and good sense of humor. Ability to work well with colleagues in different offices and time zones.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; experience with InDesign, Photoshop, and Canva a plus.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of American Rivers. Experience related to conservation and/or social justice, preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The anticipated salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000, depending on experience and qualifications. Full-time and full-time equivalent employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, short and long-term disability plans, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Apply through BambooHR. Please include a Cover Letter with your submission.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.