TITLE: Human Resources Director
CLASSIFICATION: Director I
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Administration
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® and National River Cleanup® campaigns. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 350,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
At American Rivers, “rivers connect us” is more than just our tagline. Rivers connect all people, refreshing our bodies, renewing our spirits, bringing life-giving water, economic opportunity and recreation to our communities. And rivers do so with no regard to race, ethnicity, social and economic status, where we worship, or who we love. We owe it to the rivers we love and the people we serve to act in this same spirit; to foster diversity, equity and inclusion and justice in all that we do. To that end, we will build a robust, powerful and diverse movement for the conservation of rivers and water resources that is truly representative of the communities across the country. We will honor the values and needs of those communities most impacted by environmental inequities and injustices. And we will strive for an organizational culture in which people of all identities — particularly those who traditionally have not been included — feel valued and have the power to influence change.
The Human Resources (HR) Director leads human resources for American Rivers, a national organization with multiple offices. The position is responsible for managing HR functions such as employee relations, compensation and benefits, compliance, performance management, on-boarding and off-boarding, and payroll. The HR Director works with leadership to address employee needs and manage personnel issues. The ideal candidate is outcomes-driven, organized, customer friendly and committed to American Rivers’ mission and core values.
- Promote a positive and inclusive organizational culture for all staff and help maintain high office morale.
- Handle sensitive personnel issues.
- Ensure recruitment and hiring practices are aligned with American Rivers’ commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Manage recruitment and on-boarding processes, including posting positions, providing new hire orientations and paperwork.
- Manage employee termination processes, including COBRA matters, exit interviews, and separation agreements, as required.
- Responsible for payroll data entry, creating and running payroll reports, conducting new employee user trainings, and maintaining electronic administrative resource library via ADP Workforce Now.
- Develop and oversee employee performance evaluations and work plan collection, including managing the process for the President/CEO’s annual review.
- Process and maintain employee benefits, including retirement, healthcare, life and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and commuter benefits.
- Manage the annual benefits renewal process, ensuring that the organization receives excellent and competitively priced benefit options.
- Ensure benefits, policies and practices are equitable, inclusive and in compliance with federal and state law.
- Coordinate the annual 403(b) audit.
- Manage Workers’ Compensation and FMLA compliance.
- Manage the Workers’ Compensation audit.
- Draft and edit clear organization-wide policies and help ensure enforcement of established policies.
- Serve as an administrator on the ADP Workforce Now website where timecards are collected, payroll is run, and organizational resources are stored.
- Maintain the organization’s Human Resource Information System (HRIS).
- Maintain personnel files, both hard copy and electronic.
- Negotiate and recommend organizational insurance policies and administer contractually-required insurance and other insurance-related issues.
- Oversee the employee recognition program.
- Draft and manage the HR fiscal year budget.
- Serve on the staff’s standing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) committee and administer annual demographic surveys.
- Oversee the intern program, leading the department coordinators in advertising available internships, managing the intern onboarding and off-boarding procedures, and directing the calendar of activities during the headquarters summer internship program.
- Plan and execute events to improve employee morale and increase productivity.
- Support the development of the HR department though researching and implementing best practices and procedures.
- An advanced degree in Human Resources Management and a minimum five years of experience, or an appropriate combination of education and at least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Solid understanding of federal and state employment laws including the Families First Corona Response Act.
- Knowledge of HR and equity and inclusion best practices.
- Decisive and able to work independently; proactive and solution-oriented.
- High level of professionalism, integrity, and discretion.
- Self-motivated with good attention to detail.
- Proven success at anticipating needs and taking initiative; capable of following through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Proven ability to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture and work as part of a team.
- Able to work effectively with a range of personalities and working styles, and with people at all levels of the organization who are geographically dispersed.
- Able to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including by phone, telework, and email.
- Superior knowledge of office and administrative support procedures.
- Able to direct and assist others in organizational compliance.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and Adobe software.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now preferred.
- Experience with BambooHR preferred.
- HR Certification highly preferred (SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR, or SPHR)
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations helpful.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $80,000-$87,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter at https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply