TITLE: California Finance Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director I
WAGE CATEGORY: Non–Exempt/Exempt
REPORTS TO: California Director
LOCATION: Nevada City, CA, or home office within the Sacramento region
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® and National River Cleanup® campaigns. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 350,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. Each individual brings life experiences, knowledge, innovation and talent to our work, providing perspectives, experiences and competencies that are critical to our effectiveness.
JOB SUMMARY: The California Finance Coordinator (“CFC”) plays an important role managing the financial aspects of American Rivers’ California programs, including supporting program staff implementing exciting and complex floodplain and river restoration projects. The CFC assists in developing annual budgets, contracting, invoicing and grant budget reporting. The CFC works closely with the Finance and Administration department in our headquarters office located in Washington, DC. The CFC also assists California and DC staff in developing budgets and other financial information for fundraising proposals, managing project budgets, tracking expenses, and preparing funding agreements for large restoration projects.
- Work with California program staff to develop program and project budgets.
- Manage project budgets including invoicing, reporting and budget tracking.
- Assist program staff in coordinating project activities as needed.
- Assist California Director and team members in developing annual budgets.
- Serve as principal liaison between California office and F&A department in DC headquarters.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience or a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Experience in budgeting, financial management and accounts payable and receivable.
- Highly organized and able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize critical competing tasks on a daily basis.
- Significant experience managing budgets in excel and budgeting software.
- Ability to work collaboratively in promoting the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to be both assertive and diplomatic.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Ability to work effectively with a range of personalities and working styles.
- Sense of humor and ability to maintain composure under tight deadlines.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter at https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs/ No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.