TITLE: Associate Director, Development Operations
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director I
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Planned Giving and Development Operations
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® and National River Cleanup® campaigns. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 350,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
At American Rivers, “rivers connect us” is more than just our tagline. Rivers connect all people, refreshing our bodies, renewing our spirits, bringing life-giving water, economic opportunity and recreation to our communities. And rivers do so with no regard to race, ethnicity, social and economic status, where we worship, or who we love. We owe it to the rivers we love and the people we serve to act in this same spirit; to foster diversity, equity and inclusion and justice in all that we do. To that end, we will build a robust, powerful and diverse movement for the conservation of rivers and water resources that is truly representative of the communities across the country. We will honor the values and needs of those communities most impacted by environmental inequities and injustices. And we will strive for an organizational culture in which people of all identities — particularly those who traditionally have not been included — feel valued and have the power to influence change.
As a member of the Advancement team, the Associate Director of Development Operations is responsible for high-level administrative and substantive duties to support the department’s individual fundraising operations including gift processing and acknowledgement. The position provides operational support for all fundraising programs, which includes assisting with donor cultivation, stewardship and engagement events, and supporting effective management of constituent data. The position reports to the Senior Director, Planned Giving and Development Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Gift Processing and Acknowledgments (30%):
- Prepare gift transmittals for financial recording of all contributions.
- Ensure accurate, timely, and complete updates to the donor database through daily entry of all contributions, related transactions and acknowledgements.
- Generate acknowledgement letters within 48 hours of receipt.
- At the direction of the Director of Development Operations, perform periodic transaction maintenance in donor database.
- Assist with administrative duties related to workplace giving campaigns.
Development Operations Support for Individual Fundraising (50%)
- Assist with the management of data for specific constituencies including staff, board members, council members, and planned, major and mid-level donors and prospects.
- Assist with implementation and ongoing monitoring of a major gift “moves management” system to track individual major donors and prospects.
- Assist with managing, tracking and documenting of board fundraising campaign activities.
- Review and resolve pending database updates and suspected duplicate accounts in queue on weekly basis.
- Keep board contact information, flags, committee assignments and tenures updated in the CRM database (ROI).
- Assist with documenting Development Operations’ SOPs and maintaining digital library of current policies and forms.
- Prepare agendas for monthly calendar meetings with President/CEO; take meeting notes for distribution, record tasks in database, and track and assist in follow up actions.
- Fulfill standard data requests.
Support the Philanthropy (Major Gifts) Team (20%)
- Prepare and execute mailings; edit/proofread correspondence; may also assist with other writing tasks.
- Coordinate and assist in executing the major donor communications plan; coordinate with appropriate communications and membership staff.
- Prepare donor packets for Philanthropy team and President/CEO to include relevant organizational documents and collateral.
- Participate in planning, implementation, and follow up to Council and other donor cultivation events; represent AR at events as needed.
- Assist with the preparation of internal strategy briefings in advance of donor visits and calls, as well as with prospect research as needed.
- At least three years of relevant experience in gift processing or fundraising data management, OR Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of relevant experience.
- Highly-detailed; proven ability to manage multiple projects effectively and efficiently; prioritize competing tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to locate, synthesize and interpret data from a variety of sources.
- Attention to accuracy.
- High energy level, flexible, self-motivated, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong proficiency with CRM databases (ROI Solutions preferred) and Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Personal commitment to the American Rivers mission.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $49,000- $57,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter at https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs
No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply