TITLE: Staff Accountant
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director I
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Administration
REPORTS TO: Controller
LOCATION: Washington, DC
START DATE: On or after September 1, 2018
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support in 2017 by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 275,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each individual brings to our work provides perspectives, experiences, and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for processing accounts payable, cash disbursements and cash receipts, coordinating the monthly closing process, and processing payroll. The Staff Accountant also assists with implementation and communication of policies and procedures to staff.
- Oversee accounts payable and cash receipts.
- Review expense reports for accuracy and compliance; work closely with staff to ensure timely and accurate completion and correction of errors on all reports.
- Administer payroll reporting, timesheet analysis, and leave reporting.
- Assist with grant analysis and invoicing.
- Complete account and bank reconciliations monthly.
- Prepare adjusting entries for the monthly close.
- Research variances and coding inconsistencies as required.
- Assist the Controller with preparation of schedules for the annual audit.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Controller, or as otherwise needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and at least two years of accounting experience or equivalent background.
- Experience in a nonprofit environment preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Well organized with a high attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Proactive and able to take initiative with minimal direction.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Computer proficiency with Windows software, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Experience with Abila (MIP) Fund Accounting software preferred.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time and full-time equivalent employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter at https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs/. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.