TERM: Spring semester 2020
LOCATION: Washington, DC or remote
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Philanthropy and Board Relations
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® and National River Cleanup® campaigns. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 350,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org
American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. Each individual brings life experiences, knowledge, innovation and talent to our work, providing perspectives, experiences and competencies that are critical to our effectiveness.
American Rivers is seeking an intern to work with our Philanthropy Team. The Philanthropy Intern will gain direct experience with organizational outreach, community relations, negotiation, collaboration and event planning as well as writing and marketing for specific fundraising initiatives. The intern will be responsible for a variety of projects and activities in a fast-paced and fun environment, and have the opportunity to learn from experienced mentors who are passionate about conservation. This internship is a great opportunity for anyone interested in exploring a career in nonprofit conservation or fundraising.
- Gather and complete research, to include donor and prospect profiles and information and statistics about rivers for use in proposals and reports.
- Cross-reference other donor lists with our database, identifying likely prospects for our Anglers Fund and major gifts programs.
- Draft acknowledgement letters and other fundraising-related documents, such as proposals and reports.
- Edit internal and external correspondence and fundraising materials.
- Maintain accurate fundraising information in the organization’s files and database.
- Actively participate in meetings, brown bag lunches, and trainings.
- Event planning – assist gift officers with planning for fundraising and cultivation events.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of a bi-annual webinar for American Rivers supporters.
- Draft promotion materials for events.
- Identify community foundations and corresponding contact info in priority river basins.
- Contact identified community foundations to explore the possibility of linking AR to their “community connections” page(s).
- Work with Communications/Marketing and Basin-specific Conservation Staff to create content for landing web-pages for identified community foundations.
- Work with Online Giving Manager to create/install a donor-advised fund portal on AR website linking to DAF Direct
- Compile a list of Foundation Contacts with whom AR has an established link to enable future communication and updates.
- Current student or recent graduate, with educational background in marketing, communications, or environmental science a plus.
- Skilled writer and researcher.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
- Able to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to multi-task.
TIME COMMITMENT AND PAY: American Rivers’ spring Philanthropy Internship will begin in January 2020 and will end in May 2020. This internship requires a commitment of between 16 and 24 hours per week with 2- 3 days in the office. The option to work remotely from a home office may be available. Internships are unpaid; however, a travel subsidy of $5 per day is available to help offset the costs of the intern’s commute. In addition to the travel subsidy, where available we will work with the intern to gain school credit.
APPLICATIONS: Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Please include in the cover letter why you are interested in the internship and your future career goals. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply