TITLE: Director, Online Strategy
CLASSIFICATION: Director II
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: National Communications Director
LOCATION: Washington, DC Headquarters
The Director of Online Strategy is an energetic and savvy communicator responsible for designing and executing campaigns via web, social media and email to increase the visibility of American Rivers, recruit supporters, influence decision-makers and help achieve the organization’s river conservation goals. S/he will implement a comprehensive online engagement plan to increase philanthropic giving and activism. In doing so, s/he works directly with the National Communications Director and collaborates with colleagues in membership, policy and programs. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a talented, dedicated team of professionals who are making a difference in the field of conservation.
- Oversee the organization’s digital presence, including website, blog, social media accounts, online advocacy tools, CRM, email program and campaign sites.
- Analyze performance metrics for digital channels and strategies ensuring data-driven decisions. Devise testing plans and distill web and social media results into lessons that inform strategy.
- Manage relationships and project deliverables with third-party vendors.
- Effectively supervise one direct report (1 FTE), assisting with web management, providing opportunities for personal and professional growth through regular performance reviews, guidance, and training.
Activist and Donor Engagement
- Develop a comprehensive online engagement plan to increase online activism and donations.
- Grow list of online activists.
- Manage the timely execution of appropriate digital tactics that engage supporters in achieving policy goals.
- Work closely with Senior Director of Membership to implement plans to grow donor list and online support;
- Integrate online and offline messaging to maximize impact and ensure a positive return on investment.
Social Media, Content and Storytelling
- Manage flow of social media posts, ensuring timeliness and consistency with American Rivers’ message and brand.
- Ensure effective storytelling is at the heart of our web content and online communications.
- Identify and pursue new and innovative digital tools and strategies.
- Leverage outside resources such as creative teams, data analysts, web developers etc.
- Stay current with online trends and best practices, using industry data to make strategic decisions.
- Prepare and monitor annual budget to align resources and programs with organizational goals.
- Participate in the creation of annual department plan and work with direct report to create individual annual work plan.
- Enthusiastically participate in department meetings, organization-wide meetings and activities, and staff commitees.
- Perform other duties and special projects in support of the Advancement Department, as needed.
REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
- An advanced degree in a major such as Journalism, Communications or related field and a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience. Or an appropriate combination of education and at least 9 years of relevant experience.
- A minimum of five years managing an organization’s web site and online efforts.
- A minimum of two years experience with designing and implementing online fundraising campaigns.
- Experience writing and editing email and other copy to maximize audience engagement.
- A minimum of two years managing staff.
- Experience with data analysis and testing of digital strategies, email copy, segmentation, and landing pages for fundraising and communications.
- Demonstrated skill engaging online audiences toward a specific action.
- Demonstrated skill using Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to further an organization’s goals.
- Ability to manage budgets and keep projects at or below cost.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and produce results under tight deadlines.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and good sense of humor. Ability to work well with colleagues in different offices and time zones.
- Highly organized, resourceful and proactive. Proven ability to anticipate needs and take initiative.
- Proficient with WordPress and HTML coding. Experience with CRMs such as Engaging Networks, Salsa and ActionKit, Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager.
- Graphic design experience a plus. Comfortable with image/photo editing software (Adobe Creative Suite).
- Prefer candidate with knowledge of and interest in non-profit advocacy issues.
- Personal commitment to American Rivers’ mission.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time and full-time equivalent employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com with “Director, Online Strategy” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.