TITLE: Online Communications Manager
DEPARTMENT: Marketing and Communications
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director, Online Strategy
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support in 2017 by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 275,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each individual brings to our work provides perspectives, experiences, and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
The Online Communications Manager (OCM) provides support to the Marketing and Communications Department. Specifically, the OCM works closely with the Director of Online Strategy and the Marketing and Communication department to manage and increase engagement with donors, volunteers, activists, online communities, and corporate partners. The OCM will also manage special projects and assist with the department’s administrative needs.
Online Marketing (75%)
- Provide general website maintenance, including updating and creating webpages and donation forms. Gather digital assets both internally and externally and coordinate integration into online projects.
- Manage the development of various online projects as needed, from idea generation and planning to final content creation and production.
- Utilize tools like Google Analytics to help develop benchmarks and then analyze and report on stats for Web sites, social media sites, e-mail campaigns and online advertising. Provide monthly reports to staff and stakeholders.
- Draft email Action Alerts, and either lead or participate in the process of developing other email communications, including fundraising and general engagement emails.
- Oversee all social channels, including creating original content, planning ongoing content calendar, and executing across all American Rivers social channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Work with basin and program staff to increase performance of their webpages, online tools, and online materials. Work with basin and program staff to ensure timely, strategic communications to their desired online audiences, tracking progress and deliverables as needed.
- Assist with maintenance of internal communications planning calendar.
- Assist with monthly department reports.
- Preform other high level administrative and substantive duties as required for the Marketing and Communications team.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years’ experience, preferably at least one year in online communications, online advocacy or web content production.
- Experience working with HTML and CSS. Plus a good familiarity with popular CMS, CRM and advocacy tools, such as WordPress, Blue State Digital, Salsa, Convio.
- Experience with PHP and theming WordPress sites a big plus.
- Experience working on email campaigns, advocacy programs, and social media.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and photo editing software (Photoshop or Fireworks). Video editing skills a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, with strong time and budget skills.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize competing tasks and meet deadlines.
- High energy level, flexible, self-motivated, and the ability to work professionally with staff at all levels of the organization, in person and remotely.
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations and a commitment to conservation preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full‐time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Please submit resume and cover letter at https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs/. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.