TITLE: Junior Staff Accountant
DEPARTMENT: Finance and Administration
WAGE CATEGORY: Nonexempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Staff Accountant
LOCATION: Washington, DC Headquarters
EFFECTIVE: July 1, 2022
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
American Rivers believes that a future of clean water and healthy rivers for everyone, everywhere is essential. Since 1973, we have protected wild rivers, restored damaged rivers and conserved clean water for people and nature. With headquarters in Washington, D.C., and 300,000 members, supporters and volunteers across the country, we are one of the most trusted and influential river conservation organization in the United States, delivering solutions for a better future. Because life needs rivers. For more information, please visit www.americanrivers.org.
At American Rivers, we embrace and celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities. We seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each individual brings to our work provides perspectives and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
The Junior Staff Accountant provides support to the Senior Staff Accountant, Controller, and Chief Financial Officer to ensure that American Rivers’ accounting functions are performed in accordance with GAAP and organizational guidelines and that transactions are recorded in a timely manner.
• Ensure that the Senior Staff Accountant, Controller, and Chief Financial Officer receive a high level of support in the monthly closing process.
• Monitor and maintain the accounting department’s email inbox and review and process submitted invoices.
• Enter invoices, cash receipts, cash disbursements and journal entries into Intacct, the accounting database.
• Setup and maintain vendors in Intacct including ACH setup.
• Manage the organization’s corporate credit cards; handling employee application materials, reviewing monthly statements, and serving as the online services administrator.
• Review out-of-pocket and credit card expense reports, verifying completeness and coding.
• Assist with weekly check runs including the distribution of checks.
• Provide support for cash receipts verification and processing.
• Assist with monthly account reconciliations.
• Fill out credit applications, tax exemption forms and other statutory filings as needed.
• File and maintain accounting documents.
• Assist with research on variances and coding inconsistencies.
• Provide support in the annual audit process including preparation of schedules.
• Assist with new hire orientation on Finance related topics.
• Perform other duties and special projects in support of the department as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree and some relevant experience, or a minimum of three years of experience providing accounting support.
• Decisive and self-motivated; able to work independently and proactively.
• Well organized with a high attention to detail.
• Proven success at anticipating needs and taking initiative; capable of following through on assignments with minimal direction.
• Team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with geographically dispersed colleagues.
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including phone and email.
• Ability to lift and carry 20 lbs.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Adobe software.
• Personal commitment to American Rivers’ mission.