TITLE: Director of Mid-Level Giving
CLASSIFICATION: Director I
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Membership
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® and National River Cleanup® campaigns. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 350,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
At American Rivers, “rivers connect us” is more than just our tagline. Rivers connect all people, refreshing our bodies, renewing our spirits, bringing life-giving water, economic opportunity and recreation to our communities. And rivers do so with no regard to race, ethnicity, social and economic status, where we worship, or who we love. We owe it to the rivers we love and the people we serve to act in this same spirit; to foster diversity, equity and inclusion and justice in all that we do. To that end, we will build a robust, powerful and diverse movement for the conservation of rivers and water resources that is truly representative of the communities across the country. We will honor the values and needs of those communities most impacted by environmental inequities and injustices. And we will strive for an organizational culture in which people of all identities — particularly those who traditionally have not been included — feel valued and have the power to influence change.
The Director of Mid-Level Giving oversees the engagement and growth of the organization’s mid-level donors (“River Guardians”) giving $1,000-$9,999 annually. The Director engages donors directly through personalized communications and outreach that deepens their relationships with American Rivers. The Director works closely with membership to increase revenue, retention and acquisition of new River Guardians through consistent identification, exceptional engagement, timely online and direct mail solicitation and relevant stewardship. In addition, the position works with the major gifts team on strategies to upgrade mid-level donor to major donors giving $10,000 or more. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a talented, high-energy team of professionals who are making a difference in the environmental field.
- Steward and grow a portfolio of mid-level ($1,000-$9,999) donors; build relationships through phone calls, personalized emails, ongoing contact and other communications.
- Meet minimum annual unrestricted fundraising goal, as specified in the budget.
- Collaborating with the membership team, develop and implement mail and online strategies for mid-level acquisition, retention and upgrades, including creative design, messaging and data segmentation; ensure plan dovetails with solicitations produced by membership team.
- Collaborating with major gifts team, develop strategies and materials to move select mid-level donors to major donor giving levels.
- Act as primary contact for incoming calls and email requests from mid-level donors; soliciting feedback and tracking interactions in database.
- Participate in prospect discovery and qualification calls; contacting and qualifying high-capacity prospects to identify and upgrade to mid-level or major donor status.
- Plan and implement River Guardian quarterly webinars and occasional events and participate in and support major donor and institutional events as assigned.
- Manage the gift coding and acknowledgement process for the program.
- Collaborating with membership team, conduct ongoing evaluation of mid-level giving, analyzing trends throughout the year and recommending changes to strategy.
- Working with membership team, develop and monitor the mid-level giving revenue and expense budget.
- Utilize the CRM database for tracking and recording actions pertaining to individual mid-level donors and for obtaining information to assist in their cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Develop and track annual, comprehensive work plan for the mid-level program.
- Three to four years development experience, specifically securing annual donations from individuals.
- Strategic and creative thinker; highly organized and able to meet deadlines and achieve revenue targets.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including copy editing, proof reading and finalizing documents.
- Experience managing direct marketing campaigns from concept, copywriting, art direction and print production is a plus.
- Working knowledge of CRM software (Experience with ROI Solutions database is a plus).
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized and resourceful, able to prioritize tasks, work on several projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with outside vendors as well as staff at all levels, board, and donors.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- An advanced degree in a related field with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $70,000 – $80,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately on a rolling basis. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs
No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.