TITLE: Conservation Program Assistant
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director
REPORTS TO: Vice President, River Conservation Strategies
LOCATION: Washington DC HDQ, Remote for the Right Candidate
Apply Here: https://americanrivers.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=75
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® and National River Cleanup® campaigns. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 350,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each individual brings to our work provides perspectives, experiences, and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
The Conservation Program Assistant provides administrative support to the Conservation Department, the Conservation Management Team, and Program and Regional Directors as needed.
- Proactively manage activities and schedules for the Conservation Management Team.
- Provide timely, well-organized background information and materials for virtual, phone and in-person meetings.
- Manage Zoom calls and take notes at Conservation Departments meetings.
- Ensure that requests for information, assistance, documents, approvals or other responses from internal or external sources are tracked and fulfilled on time.
- Draft, edit and proof correspondence, agendas, reports, presentations, and other documents.
- Compile, review and submit expense reports from Conservation Management Team.
- Compile, format and circulate monthly Conservation updates and annual assessment materials.
- Arrange travel logistics for the Conservation Management Team; prepare detailed itineraries with all relevant information, briefings and other materials needed for trips.
- Track projects and activities for conservation operations including the Conservation Department calendar, and prompt the Conservation Vice Presidents on upcoming deadlines and commitments.
- Track fundraising coordination forms
- Conduct research or draft fact sheets on a variety of subjects as needed for the Conservation Management Team and Conservation Department.
- Provide logistical support related to hosting online and in-person Conservation events.
- Assist the River Science Program Director with collection of Conservation metrics..
- Assist project managers with contract approval and other administrative tasks.
- Assist with the recruiting and mentoring of conservation interns and fellows.
- Perform other duties as directed and provide administrative support to other Conservation staff when needed.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree and at least 1 year of office experience, or at least 2 years of office experience.
- Exceedingly well organized, flexible and resourceful.
- Prefer a candidate with knowledge and enthusiasm for our river conservation mission. Familiarity with non-profit organizations helpful.
- Proven success at anticipating needs and taking initiative; capable of following through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including transcription, proofreading, and editing.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish good relationships with Board members, donors, government officials, and colleagues in person and remotely.
- Decisive and self-motivated; able to work independently and proactively.
- Ability to work collaboratively in promoting the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work on several projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and virtual platforms including Zoom.
- Knowledge of typical administrative support procedures and office equipment.
- Experience with planning and/or coordinating small events preferred.
- Ability to lift and carry 20 lbs.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Salary Range, $40,000 – $45,000 annually is commensurate with experience based on experience, education, work history and professional skills. American Rivers offers an outstanding benefits package to all its full-time employees, including generous vacation time, health and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, and pre-tax transportation, medical expense and child-care accounts. Please note this is a summary of our benefits; for more detailed information please refer to the full policies or contact the Human Resources department.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AR does not discriminated on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by the law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications and merit.