TITLE: Associate Director of Policy and Government Relations
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Ted Illston
LOCATION: Flexible during COVID-19 pandemic; However candidate must be prepared to work in the Washington DC Headquarters office upon in the Spring of 2021
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
Named one of the best groups to support in 2017 by “Outside” magazine, American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 355,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each individual brings to our work provides perspectives, experiences, and competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers, restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.
The Associate Director, Policy and Government Relations, (“Associate Director”) leads the development and implementation of legislative strategy on Clean Water Supply and Floodplain Restoration issue areas. This individual is responsible for cultivating relationships with key Congressional and Administration staff to act as the primary point of contact on clean water and floodplain restoration issues. The Associate Director leads coalition meetings and strategy internally and with other partners and stakeholders. The Associate Director writes fact sheets, talking points, press releases, blog posts, and other outreach materials for advocacy campaigns. The Associate Director completes and manages lobbying records and related reports. This individual helps support grant writing and fundraising efforts and provides programmatic support as needed. The position will report to the Senior Director, Policy and Government Relations and is an active member of the Clean Water Supply and Restoration Programs.
- Develop and lead legislative strategy on federal clean water, water infrastructure, and floodplain restoration issues
- Cultivate relationships with key Congressional and Administration staff
- Attend hearings, represent American Rivers at relevant conservation community meetings
- Lead coalition meetings and strategy both internally and with external partners
- Develop strategy for administrative changes, prepare materials, and attend agency meetings including but not limited to: the White House, Environmental Protection Agency, Army Corps of Engineers, and Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Create and implement communications strategies for advocacy campaigns
- Write fact sheets, talking points, press releases, blog posts, and other outreach materials
- Support grant writing and fundraising efforts
- Manage Congressional sign-on letters and Congressional database
- Manage quarterly and semi-annual lobbying disclosure reporting requirements
- Other duties as may be assigned
- Advanced degree or professional certification in a relevant field desired
- At least 3 years of experience in a relevant field
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and work in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge and experience with water science and/or policy desired
- Demonstrated experience in planning and carrying out conservation-related research and/or policy projects
- Familiarity with federal policymaking process
- Prior legislative experience desired
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and other communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work on teams with diverse perspectives, values and identities.
- Decisive and able to work independently; proactive and solution-oriented
- Proven success at anticipating needs and taking initiative; capable of following through on assignments with minimal direction
- Able to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Consistent exercise of discretion and independent judgment.
- Highly resourceful, organized self-starter
- Willingness to register as a lobbyist
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time and full-time equivalent employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter on BambooHR. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.