Meadow Restoration Publications
Download the Meadow Publication PDFs below:
Evaluating and Prioritizing Meadow Restoration in the Sierra. American Rivers and colleagues introduce tools to assess meadow condition, prioritize meadows for restoration, and monitor the effects of restoration. Data are presented for meadows in the Yuba and Mokelumne Watersheds.
Meadow Scorecard: A Rapid Assessment Tool. Science staff from American Rivers and colleagues developed a rapid method for scoring meadow condition. The method is both rigorous and accessible to landowners and others without specialized experience. See also: “Evaluating and Prioritizing Meadow Restoration in the Sierra”.
- Monitoring Hydrologic and Water Quality Impacts of Meadow Restoration. American Rivers details methods to improve and standardize the monitoring data so we can better manage, evaluate and learn from past meadow restoration projects.
- Monitoring Vegetation Response to Meadow Restoration. Stillwater Sciences and American Rivers define standard methods for measuring vegetation response to meadow restoration in the Sierra Nevada.
- Forage and Cattle Response to Sierra Meadow Restoration. UC Davis, American Rivers, and Stillwater Sciences model how meadow restoration improves forage quality and productivity and ultimately cattle production. See also the MS Excel calculator, below.
- Forage and Cattle Response: MS Excel Calculator. This spreadsheet estimates increases in weight gain and carrying capacity following restoration.
- Monitoring Restoration on Private Lands. Privately owned meadow lands offer particular opportunities and constraints, when monitoring the effects of restoration.
- A Guide For Restoring Functionality to Mountain Meadows. Stillwater Sciences assesses meadow restoration techniques and post-restoration management options.
- Private and Publicly-Owned Meadow Lands in the Sierra Nevada. Maps and tables show the distribution of meadow land ownership throughout the Sierra Nevada.
Rapid Assessment of Ecosystem Condition. American Rivers introduced restoration planning tools at the 2011 Ecological Society of America conference.Learn more about American Rivers' Meadow Restoration work.