TITLE: Development Intern – Winter 2014/2015
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS: American Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 200,000 members, supporters, and volunteers. Rivers connect us to each other, nature, and future generations. Find your connections at www.AmericanRivers.org, www.facebook.com/americanrivers, and www.twitter.com/americanrivers.
JOB SUMMARY: American Rivers seeks an Intern to assist the Development Department in its fundraising and research efforts in Washington, DC. Working closely with the Development Team, the Development Intern will assist with donor and prospect research, integrating information into development databases, and developing and producing comprehensive research reports. Through purposeful, authentic, and meaningful projects and tasks, the Development Intern will gain essential professional skills and deepen his/her understanding of prospect identification, cultivation and solicitation in the environmental non-profit sector.
- Possession or anticipated completion of a degree in business administration, communications, environmental science, English, library science, or a related field;
- Ability to work collaboratively in promoting the goals and objectives of the organization;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Creative and strategic thinking;
- Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office products including Word and Excel;
- Familiarity with database fundamentals is preferred;
- Enthusiasm about our mission and a good sense of humor!
COMPENSATION AND TIME COMMITMENT: American Rivers’ internships are unpaid; however we will work with successful applicants to obtain school credit if applicable, and a travel stipend is available. A minimum of 15 hours per week is required, but schedule and length of internship are flexible.
APPLICATION: Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter in an email to [email protected] with “Intern Search” in the subject line, or address them to: Lowell George, Development Assistant, Attn: Intern Search, American Rivers, 1101 14th St., NW, Suite 1400, Washington, DC 20005. No phone calls please.