Associate Director, Colorado Basin Program
TITLE: AssociateDirector, Colorado Basin Program
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director I
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director, Colorado Basin Program
LOCATION: Denver, CO
The Associate Director supports and contributes to the development and achievement of the Colorado Basin Program’s short-, mid-, and long-term programmatic, administrative and development goals. The Associate Director will coordinate closely with coalition partners within the basin to advocate specific federal and state policy outcomes that transform water management and improve river ecosystems through healthy flows.
The Associate Director’s responsibilities include the development and advancement of administrative and legislative policies supported by strategic advocacy plans that foster instream flow appropriation for priority reaches and municipal efficiency, re-use strategies that help to ensure environmental flows, estuary health, and strong river-based economies. The position will represent American Rivers in interactions with relevant state and federal government agencies and other decision-makers in Colorado and elsewhere in the Basin, as well as serve as the liaison with other organizations engaged in water policy in the Colorado Basin. The position is also responsible for organizing meetings and events around progressive western water management, focusing on the Colorado Basin and coordinating with American Rivers’ field staff throughout the West as well as other partner organizations.
- Work with the Colorado Basin Program Director, Colorado Basin Team staff and key partners to develop and advocate for progressive and sustainable water management policies and practices.
- Coordinate with progressive water management efforts in other parts of the country, including American Rivers’ staff in the Northern Rockies, California, and the Pacific Northwest.
- Build and maintain relationships with strategic partners, stakeholders, and policymakers, including conservation organizations, state and federal government agencies, and others.
- Serve as the face of AR by attending relevant conferences and speaking at events.
- Work with local and regional partners, and other stakeholders to build awareness of and support for sustainable water management and ecosystem recovery in the Colorado Basin with state and federal decision makers.
- Assist in the production of online materials, op-eds, press releases and other communications and media pieces.
- Support federal policy work as needed.
- Assist in raising funds to support a thriving program and maintain positive relationships with foundation, corporate, and individual donors, and the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree in policy, law, natural or physical science, or other related disciplines.
- Minimum of two to three years of experience working in the area of federal natural resource policy or management.
- Experience in western water management and conservation or a related topic preferred.
- Effective advocate with strong oral and written communications skills.
- Strategic thinker; highly organized and able to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and political judgment.
- Team player and demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues to advance an organization’s broader goals.
- High energy level, self-motivated.
Compensation, Term and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. This full-time position is funded for 2 years but may be extended if the existing funding is renewed or new funding is secured. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to: email@example.com with “Assoc. Dir. CO Basin Program” in the subject line or to American Rivers, Attn: Assoc. Dir. CO Basin Program Position, 1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400, Washington, DC 20005. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer