Associate, Clean Water Supply
The Clean Water Supply Associate will work to move southeast communities toward a sustainable and integrated approach to water management while providing program support for American Rivers’ Clean Water Supply program. The Clean Water Supply program focuses on ensuring communities and their rivers have enough clean water by promoting sustainable water management practices such as green infrastructure (rain gardens and green roofs), water efficiency and reuse. Working with local, regional, state, federal, and nonprofit leaders and officials, Clean Water Supply staff support the implementation of smarter water management policies and practices.
The Associate will work on projects related to local, regional, and state policy and practice. The Associate will report to the Associate Director of Clean Water Supply and will be located in our Atlanta, GA office. The Associate will work collaboratively with multiple partners to advance a science-based approach to river health, and will work directly with municipal water utilities, state and local government agencies, and nonprofit organizations to advance sustainable practices in water supply, wastewater and stormwater management. In addition, the Associate will develop resources for target audiences and partners on topics such as green infrastructure and water efficiency, and may develop and host workshops and events for a variety of audiences.
- Work with Conservation Strategies Group and Clean Water Supply staff to carry out Clean Water Supply program work in southeast communities;
- Focusing on Georgia, promote and develop policies and plans that advance sustainable water management strategies including water efficiency, green infrastructure, conservation and low impact supplies, and restore and protect healthy river flows.
- Represent the interests of American Rivers and its partners before relevant municipal, state, and federal agencies to establish regulations and statutes that enhance water efficiency and healthy river flows.
- Draft fact sheets, blogs, white papers, reports, and other materials as directed;
- Attend regional and local meetings representing American Rivers;
- Coordinate with local governments and partner organizations to plan and execute workshops and other outreach events;
- Word processing, copy editing, and proof reading as directed.
- Bachelors’ degree with background in policy, planning, landscape architecture, or relevant field.
- Three years of experience working on water-related planning, management, science and/or policy.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including copy editing, proof reading, and finalizing documents.
- Decisive and able to work independently; proactive and solution-oriented.
- Proven success at anticipating needs and taking initiative; capable of following through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Highly organized and resourceful, able to prioritize tasks, work on several projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter (including salary history) to: [email protected] with “2015 CWS Associate” in the subject line or to American Rivers, Attn: 2015 Clean Water Supply Associate, 108 East Ponce de Leon Ave, Suite 212, Decatur, GA 30030. No phone calls please.